Designation: Tutorial Fellow
Institute: Institute of Food Bioresources Technology
Department: Food Science & Technology
|PhD. Food Science and Technology||University of Hohenheim||2020 – To date|
|MSc. Food Science and Technology||Dedan Kimathi University of Technology||2015 – 2017|
|BSc. Food Science and Technology||Dedan Kimathi University of Technology||2011 – 2014|
- Food Scientist.
Areas of Expertise
- Coffee Technology (Coffee Processing and Quality Evaluation)
- Food technology
- 2018 – To date: Tutorial fellow – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
- 2016: Graduate assistant – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
- 2015: Supervisor – Dormans Coffee Limited, 30147-00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
- Munyendo, L.; Njoroge, D.; Hitzmann, B. (2022). The Potential of Spectroscopic Techniques in Coffee Analysis—A Review. Processes, 10, 71. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr10010071
- Munyendo L.M, Njoroge D., Owaga E. and Mugendi B. (2021). Coffee phytochemicals and post-harvest handling—A complex and delicate balance. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 102, 103995.
- Munyendo L.M, Koskei R., Mburu M. (2017) Moulds and Ochratoxin A associated with green coffee beans (Coffea arabica L.) processed by wet and dry methods: A case study of Nyeri County, IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT), vol 11 (6),66-72.
Papers presented in conferences
- Munyendo L.M, Njoroge D., Owaga E. and Mugendi B. (2019), Functional characteristics and potential application of coffee phytochemicals. The 2nd Food Science & Technology Platform of Kenya Conference, 2nd to 4th October 2019, Nairobi – Kenya.
- Munyendo L.M, Koskei .R and Mburu M. (2017). Moulds and Ochratoxin A associated with green coffee beans (Coffea arabica L.) Processed by dry and wet methods: A case study of Nyeri County. The 3rd DeKUT International Conference on Science ,Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 1st to 3rd November 2017, Nyeri – Kenya.
Awards and Scholarships
- 2020 – DAAD scholarship for PhD study at University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- 2015 – Sponsored by Dedan Kimathi University of Technology to undertake my MSc. study.
- On going (2020 – To date): University of Hohenheim – Research on development of rapid analytical methods for quality assessment of coffee using spectroscopy and chemometrics.
- Completed research (2017): DeKUT – Conducted research on the safety of green coffee produced in Nyeri county.
- Research funding (2017) – National research fund (NRF), Ksh. 435,350.
- Food processing and preservation
- Coffee processing and quality assessment