School/Institute: Institute of Food Bioresources Technology
Dept.: Food Science
|Postdoctoral Research||Universität Hohenheim, Stuttgart. Germany||2017|
|PhD Food Science and Technology||DeKUT||2016|
|MSc in Food Science and Technology||JKUAT||2010|
|Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Post harvest Technology||JKUAT||1999|
Areas of Expertise
Exotic functional foods technology, neutraceutical, dairy production and processing, food safety including support to food and horticulture industries, sensory and consumer science, food microbiology, root, tubers, cereals, fats and oil technologies, indigenous vegetables value addition
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Monica Mburu, Viktoria Zettel & Bernd Hitzmann (2019) Formulation and Quality Characterization of Bakery Products supplemented with raw Chia Seeds (Salvia hispanica). Paper under review in Journal of Food Science & Nutrition
- Gitau D. M., Mburu M. and Kiarie D. (2019). The Economic, Health and Nutritional benefits of Chia (Salvia hispanica ) Farming In Nyeri County, Kenya – Baseline survey analysis. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science. Vol 12, (4) I: 34-46
- Kibui A.N., Owaga E., Mburu M. (2018). Proximate composition and nutritional characterization of chia enriched yoghurt. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development (AJFAND). 2018; 18(1): 13239 – 13253.
- Munyendo L.M., Koskei R. and Mburu M. (2017). Moulds And Ochratoxin A Associated With Green Coffee (Coffea Arabica) Beans Processed By Dry And Wet Methods In Nyeri County. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology Vol 11, (6) I: 66-72
- Mburu M. Mugendi B. Makhoka A. & Muhoho S. (2016). Nutritional Evaluation of Kenya Alpine Dairy Goat (Capra aegagrus hircus) Milk: Effect of Geographical Location vs. Feeding Practices. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science Vol. 9 (7) 7-8
- Mburu M. Mugendi B. Makhoka A. & Muhoho S. (2014). Factors Affecting Kenya Alpine Dairy Goat Milk Production in Nyeri Region. Journal of Food Research; Vol. 3, No. 6; 2014.
- Mburu M.W, Gikonyo N.K, Kenji G.M and Mwasaru A.M. (2012) Nutritional and Functional Properties of a Complementary Food based on Kenyan Amaranth Grain (Amaranthus cruentus).African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development (AJFAND). Vol. 12. (2). April 2012.
Publications in conference proceedings
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Monica Mburu: Food Safety in The Macadamia Nuts Chain: Opportunities And Challenges. Food Safety Summit Africa Conference & Expo –May 28-29, 2015–Strathmore Business School, Nairobi, Kenya
- N. Mburu: Nutritional Characterization of Dairy Goat Milk: A Case Study of Nyeri County. 1st International Conference on science, technology and Innovation (STI). 4th- 7th, November, 2014. Dedan Kimathi university of Technology. Theme: Science, Technology and Innovation for Enhanced Economic Growth
- N. Mburu. Properties of a complementary food based on grain amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) grown in Kenya. Abstract No. 1.6005. 4th Africa Nutritional Epidemiology Conference Nairobi, Kenya 4 – 8th October 2010: Theme: Nutrition and Food Security in Africa: Successes and Challenges
- N. Mburu. Properties of a complementary food based on grain amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) grown in Kenya. Amaranth Project Initiation workshop 29th July 2008, at Kenyatta University Conference Centre. Theme: Intergration of Production, value addition and Marketing of Grain amaranth to sustainably Manage Household Health including HIV/AIDS in Kenya.
- M. N. Nganga. Effect of Processing on the Physical Chemical Characteristics of Coconut Oil. Regional Conference on Food Science and Postharvest Technology. 15th and 16th March 1999. Panafric Hotel, Nairobi. Kenya. Theme: Progress and Challenges in Food Science and Postharvest Technology in Africa: 2000 A.D and Beyond.
|FSSC 22000 Lead Auditor||SGS Kenya||September 2015|
Other University and National Responsibilities
Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- Coordinator – Food Science Income Generating Unit, Since 2016
- Class advisor – 3rd Year Students in BSC Food Science and Technology
- External Attachment Coordinator – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology
Chairman of Department – Department of Food Science and Technology 2011-2013
- PMC Promoter -Coordinate children activities at St Joseph Catholic Local Church, Thunguma.
- Facilitate feeding programme for the children who majority reside at the Rehabilitation Centre; Children and Youth Empowerment Centre, Thunguma. From 2013
- Volunteer Catechist
- Catechist – Teaching Catechism to children at the Children and Youth Empowerment Centre, Thunguma. Nyeri. 2016
- Voluntary training and establishment of organic kitchen gardens to the minorities in Nyeri County (Disabled, slum dwellers). Utilizing kitchen waste for organic farming (Household food sustainability). From 2016
- Establishment and implementation of a Dairy Goat Farm project for research and support. Zawadi Youth Enterprise. Children and Youth Empowerment Centre, Thunguma. Nyeri. 2013 – 2014
- Board Member, Mukurweini Technical Training Institute. 2015 – 2016
- Board Member, Gichira Secondary School. Since 2016
Board of Trustee, Nyeri University College. Since 2013
Awards, Scholarships and Recognitions
- 2017 – 2019. National Research Fund, Kenya. Kshs 20 Millions award for Postdoctoral research.
- 2012 – 2014: DAAD In country Scholarship (Kenya). Ph.D. Food Science and Technology at DeKUT
- 2007: Food Science and Nutrition Network for Africa (FOSNNA) research grant Exchangeprogramme for two months at Makerere University Uganda. M.Sc. Food Science and Technology. JKUAT.
- 1999: Award for the best student project presentation at Kenya Institute of Food Science & Technology conference. Title “Effect of Processing on the Physical Chemical Characteristics of Coconut Oil” B.Sc. Food Science and Postharvest Technology. JKUAT
Other Academic and Professional Achievements
- June 2015- Gap Assessment for FSSC 22000 at Privam Nut Kenya Limited
- May 2014- Gap Assessment for ISO 22000 at Sagana Nuts Ltd and Village Nuts Company Ltd, Kenya
- December 2012- Gap Assessment for ISO 22000 at Mount Meru Millers, Lira, Uganda.
- July – August 2012-Gap analysis on Fairtrade and Organic standards for macadamia nuts farmer groups in Kenya.
- July 2012 Gap analysis for Danish HACCP at afrimac Nut company Limited. Kenya
- June 2012 -ISO 22000 audit – Mount Meru Millers Ltd. Arusha. Tanzania
- December 2010 -ISO 22000 audit – SEBA Foods Limited. Tororo. Uganda
- August 2010- ISO 22000 audit – Wakulima Tea Factory. Mbeya. Tanzania
- March – April 2010 -ISO 22000 audit – Kimunye KTDA Tea Factory, Thumaita KTDA Tea Factory, E berege KTDA Tea Factory, Mungania KTDA Tea Factory.
- August 2009- GAP analysis audit for a UNIDO sponsored pilot project to assist in
- ISO 22000 compliance – WAMU Fresh Produce Exporters, WONI Fresh Produce Exporters, Fresh n Juicy Company.
- January 2016- FSSC 22000 Training Course for Sagana Nuts Ltd – ISO/TS 22002-1, ISO 22000:2005, HACCP , Internal Audits
- October 2015- Internal Quality Audits for FSSC 22000 for PRIVAMNUT Swiss Gourmet
- September 2015- HACCP in practice and ISO 22000 requirements for PRIVAMNUT Swiss Gourmet
- August 2015- Training on prerequisite progammes (ISO/TS 22002-1) requirements for Privam Nut Swiss Gourmet
- September 2014-Internal Quality Audits for FSSC 22000 for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- August 2014-Internal Quality Audits training for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- August 2014- ISO 22000 requirements for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- August 2014- HACCP in practice training for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- July 2014- Training on prerequisite progammes (ISO/TS 22002-1) requirements for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- July 2014- ISO 22000 requirements for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- July 2014- HACCP in practice training for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- June 2014 -Training on prerequisite progammes (ISO/TS 22002-1) requirements for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- October 2013- Collective training on Quality Management for supervisors and managers in the horticulture inductry (PIP Expert)
- January 2013 Food hygiene, traceability and BRC Version 6 training for Kenya Fresh Produce – Nairobi (PIP Expert)
- November 2012- Internal Quality Audits training for Mungania KTDA Tea Factory.
- November 2012- Global Gap and Packhouse hygiene training for Athi Exporters Limited– Nairobi (PIP Expert)
- October 2012-Internal audit training for Benvar Country Fresh – Thika (PIP Expert) July – to date Fairtrade and Organic farming training to Macadamia Farmers groups for Equatorial Nuits Processors. Kenya
- September 2012- Internal Quality Audits training for Afrimac Nut company Limited. Kenya
- July 2012- Fairtrade and Organic requirements course for Equatorial Nuts Processors. Kenya
- July 2012 -Food Safety, HACCP in practice for Afrimac Nut Company Limited, Kenya
- January 2012-Food Safety, HACCP in practice and ISO 22000 requirements for Mount Meru Millers Ltd, Arusha, Tanzania
- January 2011 Food Safety, HACCP in practice and ISO 22000 requirements for Korosho Mozambicue Lda Factory. Chiure. Mozambique.
- November 2010 -Internal Quality Audits training for SDV/MCT Transami. Mombasa
- August 2010- Internal Quality Audits training for Wakulima Tea Factory. Mbeya. Tanzania
- August 2010- Internal Quality Audits training for EQUATORIAL NUTS Processors Ltd. Muranga
- June 2010- Food Hygiene, ISO 22000 requirements, HACCP in practice training for Equatorial Nuts Processors Ltd. Muranga
- April 2010- Internal Quality Audits Training for ISO 22000 implementation – Eberege KTDA Tea Factory, Mungania KTDA Tea Factory
- April 2010- Food hygiene training for ISO 22000 implementation – Eberege KTDA Tea Factory
- April 2009 Capacity building for PIP training experts. AICAD Kenya (PIP Expert)
- November 2007Global GAP and Food hygiene training at Tambuzi Farm, Nanyuki, Kenya (PIP Expert)
- September 2007 Internal quality audit training at Vanduzi Fresh Produce (Companhia doVanduzi SA ) Mozambique (PIP Expert)
- Nutritional Characterization and Value Addition of Dairy Goat Milk for Contribution to Household Food Security and Nutrition in High Potential and Semi Arid Areas of Kenya
- Properties of a complementary food based on grain amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) grown in Kenya. Masters of Science in Food Science and Technology, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology.
- Effect of Processing on the Physical Chemical Characteristics of Coconut Oil. BSc Project dissertation. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology. Awarded for the best student project presentation at the Kenya.
- Chia cultivation and value chain processing
- Macadamia value chain
- Dairy goat milk value addition
- Yellow cassava value added innovation
Research funding: (Indicate the Source, Amount & Year)
National Research Fund. Kenya (Kshs 20 Million) 2017
Postgraduate Thesis Supervision and Examination (Start with the most current, completed and then ongoing)
|A. Research Interests|
|B. Affiliation/Membership to Professional Bodies|
Class advisor – 3rd Year Students in BSC Food Science and Technology