Designation: Senior Lecturer
Contact: +254 714 915397
School/Institute: Institute of Food Bioresources Technology
Department: Food Science
|Postdoctoral Research Stay for University Academics and Scientists||Universität Hohenheim, Stuttgart. Germany||May – August 2019|
|PhD. Food Science and Technology||Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, Kenya||2012 – 2016|
|MSc. in Food Science and Technology||Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya||2007 – 2010|
|BSc. in Food Science and Post harvest Technology||Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya||1996 – 1999|
- Digital capacity development training organised as part of the NExT Kenya Programme. COLEACP, 14/03/2022 to 08/04/2022
- Food Safety Training Workshop. 4-8 December 2017. BecA-ILRI Hub, ILRI Campus, Nairobi, Kenya
- Food Safety Advisory. Foundation Course for Consultants. 26-28 June, 2017 in Nairobi, Kenya. By International Finance Corporation (IFC), World Bank Group
- Pedagogy – Effective Teaching Skills (Module III), June 2016
- Pedagogy – Effective Teaching Skills (Module I & II), May 2016
- FSSC 22000 Lead Auditor – Training Course by SGS Kenya, September 2015
- Basic Training of Trainers Capacity building in training and communication techniques. PIP. Kenya, May – June 2013
- PIP fair trade training. June 2012
- Carbon and water management in Horticultural exports from East Africa, December 2011
- Training of Trainers on EDES pedagogical methods and technical contents for international ACP experts in Kenya, November 2011
- HACCP and Global Standard for Food Safety (BRC Version 5). CMI Certification Africa (Pty) Ltd, May 2009
- Lead Auditor Course (IRCA). ISO 9001:2008. BSI Management System Training, February 2009
- Product research & development –on job training. Gallina Blanca Company, Barcelona Spain, April 2005 to May 2005
- Training of Trainers Course on training skills, principles of food safety, risk analysis and HACCP method, protocols, food safety management system, traceability and data search
- COLEACP Pesticides Initiative Programme, September 2004
- Food Hygiene Course, Internal Quality Systems Audit, HACCP in Practice, Process Monitoring & Control. QSM & Associates Consultants, February 2003 & August 2004
- HACCP. Kenya Bureau of Standards, May 2003
Areas of Expertise
- Food Science and postharvest technology:- food chemistry, food microbiology, food safety, processing and preservation of food products, postharvest handling of food.
- Research:- proposal writing, winning research grants and implementation of multidisciplinary projects
- 2016 – To date: Senior Lecturer and Researcher – Food safety and food microbiology, Food Science and Technology – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
- 2016 – To date: Researcher – Thematic Leader Food Security, Quality and Safety – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
- Food safety trainer consultant – COLEACP, EU.
- August 2017 – February 2018: Ag Deputy Registrar Research, Technology Management and community Linkages – Dedan Kimathi University of Technology (DeKUT).
- 2014 – 2017: External Attachment Coordinator – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology (DeKUT). Creating collaboration between the Institute and the Industry.
- 2016 – 2018: Coordinator – Food Science Income Generating Unit, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
- 2011 – 2015: Assistant Lecturer in Food Science and Technology – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
- 2011 – 2012: Chair of Department of Food Science and Technology, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
- 2009 – 2011: Part-time Lecturer – Mount Kenya University.
- 2005 – 2006: Quality Control & Product Development Manager – Carlton Gallina Blanca Foods Ltd, Kenya.
- 2001 – 2004: Quality Assurance Manager – Kenya Nut Company Ltd, Kenya.
- 1999 – 2001: Production Supervisor – Palmhouse Dairies Ltd. Nairobi, Kenya.
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Mburu Monica, Zettel Viktoria, Bernd Hitzmann (2020). Bakery products supplemented with raw chia – Part 1. Cereal technology. 2020-06-30. DOI: 10.23789/1869-2303-2020-2-120.
- Ikumi Pauline, Mburu Monica & Njoroge Daniel (2019). Chia (Salvia hispanica L.) – A Potential Crop for Food and Nutrition Security in Africa. Journal of Food Research; Vol. 8, No. 6; 2019.
- Njeri Veronicah, Mburu Monica & Koskei Kipkorir (2019). Mould Characterization and Mycotoxin Quantification of Chia Seeds (Salvia hispanica L.) Grown in Kenya. Journal of Food Research; Vol. 8, No. 6; 2019 .
- Gitau D. M., Mburu M. and Kiarie D. (2019). The Economic, Health and Nutritional benefits of Chia (Salvia hispanica ) Farming In Nyeri County, Kenya – Baseline survey analysis. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science. Vol 12, (4) I: 34-46
- Kibui A.N., Owaga E., Mburu M. (2018). Proximate composition and nutritional characterization of chia enriched yoghurt. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development (AJFAND). 2018; 18(1): 13239 – 13253.
- Munyendo L.M., Koskei R. and Mburu M. (2017). Moulds And Ochratoxin A Associated With Green Coffee (Coffea Arabica) Beans Processed By Dry And Wet Methods In Nyeri County. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology Vol 11, (6) I: 66-72
- Mburu M. Mugendi B. Makhoka A. & Muhoho S. (2016). Nutritional Evaluation of Kenya Alpine Dairy Goat (Capra aegagrus hircus) Milk: Effect of Geographical Location vs. Feeding Practices. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science Vol. 9 (7) 7-8
- Mburu M. Mugendi B. Makhoka A. & Muhoho S. (2014). Factors Affecting Kenya Alpine Dairy Goat Milk Production in Nyeri Region. Journal of Food Research; Vol. 3, No. 6; 2014.
- Mburu M.W, Gikonyo N.K, Kenji G.M and Mwasaru A.M. (2012) Nutritional and Functional Properties of a Complementary Food based on Kenyan Amaranth Grain (Amaranthus cruentus).African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development (AJFAND). Vol. 12. (2). April 2012.
Publications in conference proceedings
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Monica Mburu: Food Safety in The Macadamia Nuts Chain: Opportunities And Challenges. Food Safety Summit Africa Conference & Expo –May 28-29, 2015–Strathmore Business School, Nairobi, Kenya
- N. Mburu: Nutritional Characterization of Dairy Goat Milk: A Case Study of Nyeri County. 1st International Conference on science, technology and Innovation (STI). 4th- 7th, November, 2014. Dedan Kimathi university of Technology. Theme: Science, Technology and Innovation for Enhanced Economic Growth
- N. Mburu. Properties of a complementary food based on grain amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) grown in Kenya. Abstract No. 1.6005. 4th Africa Nutritional Epidemiology Conference Nairobi, Kenya 4 – 8th October 2010: Theme: Nutrition and Food Security in Africa: Successes and Challenges
- N. Mburu. Properties of a complementary food based on grain amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) grown in Kenya. Amaranth Project Initiation workshop 29th July 2008, at Kenyatta University Conference Centre. Theme: Intergration of Production, value addition and Marketing of Grain amaranth to sustainably Manage Household Health including HIV/AIDS in Kenya.
- M. N. Nganga. Effect of Processing on the Physical Chemical Characteristics of Coconut Oil. Regional Conference on Food Science and Postharvest Technology. 15th and 16th March 1999. Panafric Hotel, Nairobi. Kenya. Theme: Progress and Challenges in Food Science and Postharvest Technology in Africa: 2000 A.D and Beyond.
|FSSC 22000 Lead Auditor||SGS Kenya||September 2015|
Other University and National Responsibilities
Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- Coordinator – Food Science Income Generating Unit, Since 2016
- Class advisor – 3rd Year Students in BSC Food Science and Technology
- External Attachment Coordinator – Institute of Food Bioresources Technology
Chairman of Department – Department of Food Science and Technology 2011-2013
- PMC Promoter -Coordinate children activities at St Joseph Catholic Local Church, Thunguma.
- Facilitate feeding programme for the children who majority reside at the Rehabilitation Centre; Children and Youth Empowerment Centre, Thunguma. From 2013
- Volunteer Catechist
- Catechist – Teaching Catechism to children at the Children and Youth Empowerment Centre, Thunguma. Nyeri. 2016
- Voluntary training and establishment of organic kitchen gardens to the minorities in Nyeri County (Disabled, slum dwellers). Utilizing kitchen waste for organic farming (Household food sustainability). From 2016
- Establishment and implementation of a Dairy Goat Farm project for research and support. Zawadi Youth Enterprise. Children and Youth Empowerment Centre, Thunguma. Nyeri. 2013 – 2014
- Board Member, Mukurweini Technical Training Institute. 2015 – 2016
- Board Member, Gichira Secondary School. Since 2016
Board of Trustee, Nyeri University College. Since 2013
Awards, Scholarships and Recognitions
- 2017 – 2019. National Research Fund, Kenya. Kshs 20 Millions award for Postdoctoral research.
- 2012 – 2014: DAAD In country Scholarship (Kenya). Ph.D. Food Science and Technology at DeKUT
- 2007: Food Science and Nutrition Network for Africa (FOSNNA) research grant Exchangeprogramme for two months at Makerere University Uganda. M.Sc. Food Science and Technology. JKUAT.
- 1999: Award for the best student project presentation at Kenya Institute of Food Science & Technology conference. Title “Effect of Processing on the Physical Chemical Characteristics of Coconut Oil” B.Sc. Food Science and Postharvest Technology. JKUAT
Other Academic and Professional Achievements
- June 2015- Gap Assessment for FSSC 22000 at Privam Nut Kenya Limited
- May 2014- Gap Assessment for ISO 22000 at Sagana Nuts Ltd and Village Nuts Company Ltd, Kenya
- December 2012- Gap Assessment for ISO 22000 at Mount Meru Millers, Lira, Uganda.
- July – August 2012-Gap analysis on Fairtrade and Organic standards for macadamia nuts farmer groups in Kenya.
- July 2012 Gap analysis for Danish HACCP at afrimac Nut company Limited. Kenya
- June 2012 -ISO 22000 audit – Mount Meru Millers Ltd. Arusha. Tanzania
- December 2010 -ISO 22000 audit – SEBA Foods Limited. Tororo. Uganda
- August 2010- ISO 22000 audit – Wakulima Tea Factory. Mbeya. Tanzania
- March – April 2010 -ISO 22000 audit – Kimunye KTDA Tea Factory, Thumaita KTDA Tea Factory, E berege KTDA Tea Factory, Mungania KTDA Tea Factory.
- August 2009- GAP analysis audit for a UNIDO sponsored pilot project to assist in
- ISO 22000 compliance – WAMU Fresh Produce Exporters, WONI Fresh Produce Exporters, Fresh n Juicy Company.
- January 2016- FSSC 22000 Training Course for Sagana Nuts Ltd – ISO/TS 22002-1, ISO 22000:2005, HACCP , Internal Audits
- October 2015- Internal Quality Audits for FSSC 22000 for PRIVAMNUT Swiss Gourmet
- September 2015- HACCP in practice and ISO 22000 requirements for PRIVAMNUT Swiss Gourmet
- August 2015- Training on prerequisite progammes (ISO/TS 22002-1) requirements for Privam Nut Swiss Gourmet
- September 2014-Internal Quality Audits for FSSC 22000 for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- August 2014-Internal Quality Audits training for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- August 2014- ISO 22000 requirements for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- August 2014- HACCP in practice training for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- July 2014- Training on prerequisite progammes (ISO/TS 22002-1) requirements for Village Nuts Company, Karatina.
- July 2014- ISO 22000 requirements for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- July 2014- HACCP in practice training for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- June 2014 -Training on prerequisite progammes (ISO/TS 22002-1) requirements for Sagana Nuts Ltd.
- October 2013- Collective training on Quality Management for supervisors and managers in the horticulture inductry (PIP Expert)
- January 2013 Food hygiene, traceability and BRC Version 6 training for Kenya Fresh Produce – Nairobi (PIP Expert)
- November 2012- Internal Quality Audits training for Mungania KTDA Tea Factory.
- November 2012- Global Gap and Packhouse hygiene training for Athi Exporters Limited– Nairobi (PIP Expert)
- October 2012-Internal audit training for Benvar Country Fresh – Thika (PIP Expert) July – to date Fairtrade and Organic farming training to Macadamia Farmers groups for Equatorial Nuits Processors. Kenya
- September 2012- Internal Quality Audits training for Afrimac Nut company Limited. Kenya
- July 2012- Fairtrade and Organic requirements course for Equatorial Nuts Processors. Kenya
- July 2012 -Food Safety, HACCP in practice for Afrimac Nut Company Limited, Kenya
- January 2012-Food Safety, HACCP in practice and ISO 22000 requirements for Mount Meru Millers Ltd, Arusha, Tanzania
- January 2011 Food Safety, HACCP in practice and ISO 22000 requirements for Korosho Mozambicue Lda Factory. Chiure. Mozambique.
- November 2010 -Internal Quality Audits training for SDV/MCT Transami. Mombasa
- August 2010- Internal Quality Audits training for Wakulima Tea Factory. Mbeya. Tanzania
- August 2010- Internal Quality Audits training for EQUATORIAL NUTS Processors Ltd. Muranga
- June 2010- Food Hygiene, ISO 22000 requirements, HACCP in practice training for Equatorial Nuts Processors Ltd. Muranga
- April 2010- Internal Quality Audits Training for ISO 22000 implementation – Eberege KTDA Tea Factory, Mungania KTDA Tea Factory
- April 2010- Food hygiene training for ISO 22000 implementation – Eberege KTDA Tea Factory
- April 2009 Capacity building for PIP training experts. AICAD Kenya (PIP Expert)
- November 2007Global GAP and Food hygiene training at Tambuzi Farm, Nanyuki, Kenya (PIP Expert)
- September 2007 Internal quality audit training at Vanduzi Fresh Produce (Companhia doVanduzi SA ) Mozambique (PIP Expert)
- Nutritional Characterization and Value Addition of Dairy Goat Milk for Contribution to Household Food Security and Nutrition in High Potential and Semi Arid Areas of Kenya
- Properties of a complementary food based on grain amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) grown in Kenya. Masters of Science in Food Science and Technology, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology.
- Effect of Processing on the Physical Chemical Characteristics of Coconut Oil. BSc Project dissertation. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture & Technology. Awarded for the best student project presentation at the Kenya.
- Chia cultivation and value chain processing
- Macadamia value chain
- Dairy goat milk value addition
- Yellow cassava value added innovation
Research funding: (Indicate the Source, Amount & Year)
National Research Fund. Kenya (Kshs 20 Million) 2017
Postgraduate Thesis Supervision and Examination (Start with the most current, completed and then ongoing)
|A. Research Interests|
|B. Affiliation/Membership to Professional Bodies|
Class advisor – 3rd Year Students in BSC Food Science and Technology